Jeff was the first person to do something I’d hoped to do a lot of with this version of Crush On Radio… talk about an album he didn’t like… albeit still an influential album on his life. Plus some awesome musical connections tied with Jeff’s career as a musical researcher, archivist, and other cool things.
Original Show Notes
This week, Rich chats with music and film producer, music researcher, and Raymond Scott archivist, Jeff E. Winner.
Jeff talks about his childhood musical development, leading up to his album—Ummagumma. Find out what happens when a class of Kindergarteners get exposed to Pink Floyd.
- Pink Floyd
- Roger Waters
- Stereophonic Sound
- Pink Floyd – Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
- Droste effect
- Peter Pan Records
Music politics: censorship, experimental music, and how we connect with music. What does “mainstream” even mean today?
- Parents Music Resource Center
- Sound Collage
- Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention
- Ronnie James Dio
- Spinal Tap
Rich’s Pink Floyd Story, and how he got burned out on The Wall, and some of his other musical mistakes, and how we discover music. Segueing into how Jeff discovered and became a Raymond Scott scholar.
- The Wall
- Pink Floyd – The Wall (movie)
- Raymond Scott
- Carl Stalling
- Raymond Scott – Manhattan Research Inc.
- Deconstructing Dad – The Music, Machines, and Mystery of Raymond Scott
- Gorillaz – Man Research
- J. Dilla – Lightworks
Jeff updates us on Raymond Scott’s Electronium, the analog, artificial-intelligence music creating computer.
- Raymond Scott’s Electronium: The Restoration
- Mark Mothersbaugh of DEVO & Jeff E. Winner with Raymond Scott’s Motown Electronium
- Gotye – State of the Art
- Crush On Radio Episode 2: Get My Feet A Little Wetter
Jeff also fills us in on his involvement in the DEVO Documentary, and the sequel to the classic cult film Forbidden Zone.