And now, we come to the final, and the most lost, of all the Lost Episodes of Crush On Radio. Myke needs no introduction if you’re into podcasts, and he was interested in guesting as soon as Patrick guested. Scheduling this one was hard, especially with his crazy schedule—Myke was still working full-time—and the whole time zone difference thing. This one was also marred with some nasty recording problems, and then, the podcast network kinda fell apart. Well, it’s here now, for the world to hear…
About a year after I wrapped up Crush On Radio, Myke did his own podcast run asking people about their favorite albums. And he did it better than me, too.
Original Show Notes
0:01:56 Painting My Life
An introduction to Myke Hurkey, and to Arctic Monkeys, how they’ve painted his life.
- Myke Hurley
- Arctic Monkeys
- Whatever People Say I Am That’s What I’m Not
- Queens of the Stone Age
- Alex Turner
- Star Wars – The Machete Order
0:09:07 The Nightlife in Sheffield
The backstory of Whatever People Say I Am… and the stories in the songs. Plus, Arctic Monkeys live shows.
- Red Light Indicates Doors Are Secured
- Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor
- Alexandra Palace
- Arctic Monkeys at Glastonbury 2013
- BRIT Awards
0:17:57 They’re Big Now
Singles versus albums, then and now, and Myke’s early history with AM—parties, piracy, and MySpace
- Arctic Monkeys – Why’d You Only Call Me When You’re High
- East London
- Who The Fuck Are Arctic Monkeys
- Five Minutes with Arctic Monkeys
0:28:35 The Fastest Selling Album in the UK
A discussion of MySpace as music discovery, and the lack of a centralized place to find bands in a social way. Followed by a discussion of the differenced between the British and US music industries.
- No Strings Attached (the fastest selling album in the US)
- Sparks – This Town Ain’t Big Enough for Both of Us
- Icona Pop
0:36:19 Fast, Fast Music
Returning to the album, and music about enjoying yourself.
- Franz Ferdinand
- Arctic Monkeys – The View From The Afternoon
- Arctic Monkeys – When The Sun Goes Down
- Arctic Monkeys – Mardy Bum
- “Mardy” on Wiktionary
0:43:46 More About Love
Myke talks about growing up, and how Arctic Monkeys have grown up alongside him.